Glossary f


A facade or façade is generally one side of the exterior of a building, especially the front, but also sometimes the sides and rear. more..


Fachwerk is a German term that often describes timber-framed buildings in general, but refers in particular to a certain kind of wall framing with small square panels more..

Ferranti’s Deptford Power Station

This supplement is extracted extensively from a pamphlet published by the CEGB in 1986 entitled “Cradle of Power – The Story of Deptford Power Stations” and written by Rob Cochrane. more..


The finial is an architectural device, typically carved in stone and employed to decoratively emphasise the apex of a gable, or any of various distinctive ornaments at the top, end, or corner of a building or structure more..

Forum (Roman)

The Forum was the public space in the middle of a Roman city. more..


A traditional fountain is an arrangement where water issues from a source (Latin fons), fills a basin of some kind, and is drained away. more..


Fresco (plural either frescos or frescoes) is any of several related painting types. more..


Fritware is a type of pottery more..

Bookmark and Share

583 Kings Road, Chelsea, London SW6 2EH United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0)207 384 4424  |  Fax: +44 (0) 20 7371 8395  |  E-mail: